Welcome to TakeLessons Ask a Question Feature
With the Ask a Question feature, you can message back and forth with students who are interested in booking lessons with you. This essential tool allows potential students to send you questions through your profile prior to making a purchase.
Students will send you a message through the link on your profile.
We will forward these messages through our secure server to the email inbox associated with your TakeLessons profile.
Reply to the email sent to your inbox
All questions from potential students will be sent as emails, to the email address associated with your TakeLessons Partner account.
- Log in to the email account associated with your TakeLessons Partner account (No need to log in to your TakeLessons account)
- Open the email titled “A potential student just asked you a question!”
- Type out your personalized reply and press send.
- Your reply will be sent to the potential student’s email address, through our encrypted server. All contact info for you and the student will remain hidden throughout your communication, so even though you’re responding through your email, your info will remain secure.
Remove your signature before you send
If your email software automatically adds a signature to your emails, we recommend removing it from your replies to students. Most email signatures include personal contact information, which may cause your message to be flagged and not delivered, or only partially delivered.To prevent a not-so-pleasant experience for your student, make sure your reply doesn’t include a phone number, email address, or website URL.
Missing an Inquiry? Check your Spam folder.
- Received a notification that you have a new question but can’t find it? Occasionally messages from us may be filtered out by your email provider. Check your spam folder.
Respond within 3 hours.
- That's when students are most likely to book lessons, so the sooner you reply, the better. The quality and speed of your answer can determine whether or not they book lessons with you.
- If you don’t respond to the question within 72 hours, we’ll assume that you aren’t currently available for students, and will automatically set your Profile Visibility to “Off.”. (See: How do I turn my profile visibility on or off?) We will then follow up with the student whose question you missed, to make sure they get the help they need.
Don’t feel this student is the best fit for you?
- It’s ok to reply, “It sounds like I might not be the right teacher for you.” Turning down students before they book lessons will not hurt your search ranking.
Concerned that this message is Spam, or not from a real potential student?
- If you get a message that is SPAM, inappropriate or seems suspicious, be sure to report the message to us so we can block messages like that from getting to you.
Turn on the charm
- Reply with an honest, upbeat answer that shows students you can help them achieve their goals. Students use questions to get to know you and learn more about what lessons will be like, so do your best to make a great first impression!
Download the iOS Teacher Partner App
- Easily access your messages and send a reply by downloading the app from iTunes. You will need an iPhone or iPad running iOS v9.0 or later. (Not sure? See: What version of iOS do I have?)
- Can’t find the app on your iPad? Adjust your App Store filters to include apps built for iPhone when searching for “TakeLessons”.
- Once downloaded, you will be able to access all of your inquiries from the Messages tab on your Partner App.
We built Ask A Question to empower Partners like you to communicate with potential students without the risk of displaying your contact information online. With that said, we take safety very seriously, because the internet can be a scary place.
Since messages sent through Ask A Question are between you and students who haven't purchased lessons yet, there are precautions you should take to help prevent spam and fraud. For your safety, messages sent between you and your potential students are monitored for potential safety violations. To get the most out of Ask A Question, follow these guidelines:
Don’t send attachments
Attachments aren't allowed through Ask A Question, to prevent the possibility of students or teachers acquiring software viruses. If you send a message with an attachment, the message will be delivered without the attachment.
Don’t share links
To protect teachers and students from internet threats, we don't allow any links to be shared through Ask A Question, except for URLs related to TakeLessons. This means that messages with links to YouTube, your personal website, or other URLs won't be delivered, but you can always link students to your profile, or anywhere else on TakeLessons.com. Please answer all questions as best you can, without linking to any other websites.
Keep your Address private
We know students may ask for your address if they're trying to get a sense for how easily they can travel to the place where you teach. However, to keep everyone safe, we don't allow anyone to share their full addresses until the student has purchased lessons with you. This is the least we can do to ensure you won't be surprised at home or work by someone you don't know.
To help students plan their transportation, we recommend you give cross streets near your studio location, or reference landmarks that can give them a sense where you are.
Don't Give out Personal Contact Information
Contact information (phone #, email address, website) should not be shared until the student has signed up for lessons with you through our website. You'll be able to see the student's contact information- and reach out to them directly- after they sign up.
If a student requests to talk to you on the phone and/or meet in person prior to booking lessons we recommend this response:
"For safety reasons, we are not able to share contact information until you book lessons. Once you sign up, I'll be able to reach out to you directly, so we can arrange to chat or meet. Of course, I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about my teaching or scheduling in order to help you make a decision. What can I help you with?"
Policy Violations will affect your profile visibility
If one of your replies is flagged for review due to a policy violation, your profile will be removed from our searches until we are able to clear up the confusion. Instructors who attempt to bypass the system and book students directly by sharing contact information or websites may permanently be removed from the site.