Students will read your biography to get a sense of who you are as a teacher and as a person. You'll want to mention your experience and teaching philosophies, but don't forget to include a few notes about your personality and teaching style. This is also a good place to add any special skills you may offer.
We find that the most effective profile overview is written from the first person perspective, is at least 500 characters long, and keeps a friendly, personal tone.
Top characteristics of popular teachers:
- Well-trained (including BA/BS, graduate degrees)
- Experienced (at least 1-year teaching experience)
- Flexible & fun-loving
- Takes pride in helping students succeed
Things to avoid
- For security purposes, we ask that you not include your last name or links to personal websites
- Contact information (phone #, email address) should not be shared until the student has signed up for lessons with you through our website. You'll be able to see the student's contact information- and reach out to them directly- after they sign up.
- Special discounts (we are looking to add this feature in the near future!)
- Specific package pricing such as rate per month or per package
- Of course, keep the content clean and professional
How to update your biography
You can update your biography through your TakeLessons account. Here’s how:
1. Go to the Profile tab in your account
2. Scroll to the About section and select edit
3. Customize the body of your biography and set the preferences for the student’s you are interested in teaching
4. Once you are satisfied with your overview, click save.
How will you describe yourself? Use a template to get started.
TEMPLATE 1 (Fun, Personal Tone)
Hi, there! My name is [Your name] and I can't wait to meet you! I've been teaching private lessons since [year] and have loved helping my students [accomplishment 1], [accomplishment 2], and [accomplishment 3]. I went to [school name] and earned a degree in [your field] in [year]. I'm a [personality trait 1] and [personality trait 2] person and my teaching style is [personality trait 3], [personality trait 4], and [personality trait 5]. I look forward to helping you reach your goals!
TEMPLATE 2 (Professional Tone)
I have been teaching private lessons since [year] and am currently available to teach lessons at [your home, my studio, and online]. I have helped students [accomplishment 1], [accomplishment 2], [accomplishment 3], [accomplishment 4].
I received my training at [School/Organization] in [year] where I received a degree in [your field]. As an expert in my field, I look forward to helping new students achieve their goals. My teaching style is [personality trait 1], [personality trait 2], and [personality trait 3].